After completing my undergraduate work (which included a year abroad in Strasbourg, France), I moved to Montreal, Quebec, where I embarked upon my graduate studies – all of which took place in French. French is a beautiful language to express the nuances of emotion!
- Undergraduate (BA): University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- Masters (MA) and Doctorate (Psy D): Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Canada
Working in a variety of inpatient psychiatric hospitals, both as an intern and later as a therapist, I gained valuable insights into a wide variety of psychological issues. While living in Quebec I was one of the founding members of a residential therapeutic community for treating schizophrenic adults (the National Film Board of Canada made a documentary film of our work there).
Later on my work with heroin addicts helped me deepen my understanding of addictions. Subsequent experiences included working as a therapist at the Child and Family Outpatient Clinic in Knoxville, TN and at the DeSisto School for troubled adolescents in West Stockbridge, MA.
For the past two decades I have been in private practice in the Berkshires, where for many years I also ran groups known as WOMEN, FOOD and ADDICTION.
As a therapist I am well versed in almost all of the major schools of psychology including Humanistic-Existential, Object Relations and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. The following trainings and experiences have been influential in my development as a therapist:
- two year experiential training program at the Gestalt Center in Knoxville, TN
- two year hands-on course in Core Energetics, a body-centered therapy, taught by John Pierrakos, founder of the Core Energetics Institute in NYC
- advanced training in Somatic Experiencing, a sensorimotor approach to trauma, with Peter Levine, author of WAKING THE TIGER and IN AN UNSPOKEN VOICE: HOW THE BODY RELEASES TRAUMA AND RESTORES GOODNESS
- personal sessions with Karin Davidson, practitioner trainer in Matrix Reimprinting, a highly effective branch of Energy Psychology
The following quotes have been an inspiration to me:
“Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.” – Harriett Beecher Stowe
“Accept the present moment and find the perfection that is deeper than any form and untouched by time.” -Eckhart Tolle